Hidden Dangers From Poison Oak, Ivy & Sumac Plants

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, each year 10 to 50 million Americans develop an allergic rash after contact with Poison Oak, Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac plants. The invisible oily resin called Wilde causes of the harmful effects of these poisonous plants.

Poison ivy, oak or sumac can be found in every state except Alaska and Hawaii. These plants are important for the ecosystems in which they live. The small, white or bluish berries can be found on the illustration feed a number of birds and small animals. The irritants found in pistachio oil not affect most animals, and the nodes of the plants serve as a shelter.

These oily resin can remain on pets, shoes, hiking shoes, clothing, toys, gardening equipment, lawn mowers and other made contact. In fact, the oil stays on any surface, including the dead, for up to 5 years.


After the contact, the reaction (called dermatitis), a rash, followed by bumps and blisters, itching. Scratching not on the outbreak, but can lead to infections, which allows bacteria from dirt on the hands in the skin. Symptoms can last up to 10 days to several weeks to heal.

Mild symptoms

Severe redness
Signs of infection, such as pus
Rash of the mouth, eyes or genitals
Rash on a large part of your body or face
Mild symptoms can be treated with simple and natural home remedies. See below.

Severe symptoms

Swelling of the throat, tongue or lips
Difficulties in breathing or swallowing
Weakness or dizziness
Bläulichen lips and / or in the mouth
Severe symptoms need immediate emergency medical care.


NEVER burn poison ivy. Burning these poisonous plants, the Wilde resin in the air and can be in your lungs and possibly your neighbor's lungs. If you poison ivy in your lungs, you need to go to the hospital.

Pet Alert

The only threat to the resin on our pets, if it rubbed off on other things or people. If your pet is just the bumps and itching, they can not catch from them.


As Wilde is an oily resin and no water on the basis of liquid, it will not evaporate, and it may linger for several years.

Use mild soap and cold or cold water to wash the resin. Do not use hot water because it opens your skin pores and thus absorb more of the oil.

You may want to apply rubbing alcohol to the affected area (s) with cotton balls, and then rinse with cold water. You may calamine lotion, zinc oxide ointment, or baking soda paste (3-TL. Soda - to-1 tsp. Water) in the affected areas (s), or in a soft oatmeal bath to relieve the symptoms somewhat.

Generally, the best treatment is time-€ "the rash and itching, they should be in their own in one to two weeks. Try your hands away from eyes, mouth and face, and scratches as little as possible because this is the rash and can irritate the infection.

This article is for general information only and not for or replace any medical advice. Always check with your doctor for treatment of health condition.

0 yorum: